We have now received a list of remedial actions which ECC will be undertaking during their stage 4 audit next week. These can be found here – Remedial_Actions.
Access Walden feel that the scheme in its present condition has scope for improvement and to further enhance the user experience for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists, a proposed list of changes has been discussed with various councillors and passed onto ECC. We therefore hope that these issues are taken seriously enough to be included in the above list and can be resolved very quickly.
We propose that the following improvements are made –
1. Move the one remaining bollard that is on opposite side to rest across so that all bollards line up on same side.
2. Clearer signs and on-road markings to emphasise cycle path is down hill only, and cycles & vehicles progress uphill on one way stretch.
3. Cut back verge to create wider tarmac area inside white line for pedestrians, where no footway.
4. Lower speed limit.
5. Filling potholes and fissures on middle section under trees.
6. Proactive and positive communications to explain and promote the scheme from all parties.
Wenden Road has very unique design restrictions due to being surrounded by private land and needing to accommodate two-way motor traffic to and from Abbey Farm. We feel the above improvements can be easily undertaken, bringing the Wenden Road cycle/pedestrian path in line with the safe and friendly route its users deserve.